As we get older, our skin becomes thinner, drier and less resilient. This means it is more prone to damage, which eventually results in lines and creases on the skin. With age, more wrinkles will appear not just on the face, but also the neck and arms. Some wrinkles are also more prominent with facial movements or expressions – these are called dynamic wrinkles.
What causes wrinkles?
As our skin loses elasticity with age, it cannot bounce back like before. This results in a fold or crease developing on the skin. Overtime, the fold becomes permanent, resulting in wrinkles. Poor habits like smoking can also cause wrinkles. But the biggest factor is sun exposure. The sun’s ultraviolet (UV) light breaks down the skin’s collagen and elastin fibres, which form part of the skin’s supporting structures.
How to prevent wrinkles?
1. Sun protection is the most important step. Use a good sunblock daily (SPF 30 and above) and avoid exposing your skin to artificial UV light sources such as tanning booths.
2. Do note smoke, and if you do, stop.
3. Keep skin moisturised. Facial skin needs regular moisturising, just like other parts of the body. Most facial moisturisers are light and non-comedogenic and will not clog pores.
4. Use a retinol or topical retinoid cream as they contain vitamin A derivatives that can help reduce wrinkles.
5. Botulinum toxin injections are useful for dynamic wrinkles and can smoothen the appearance of frown lines on the forehead and wrinkles around the eyes, commonly known as ‘crow’s feet’. The treatment lasts between three and six months, and must be repeated.
6. Laser treatments such as carbon dioxide laser resurfacing and skin tightening lasers can minimise wrinkles. Multiple sessions are often required, and depending on the laser therapy, there is also a short downtime.
7. Fillers are products that contain hyaluronic acid which can be used to fill in deep grooves or lines. Fillers can also be injected to the face.
8. Sufficient sleep and rest are key to health skin.
Thomson Specialist Skin Centre is a skin specialist clinic in Singapore that is a member of the Thomson Medical Group. For dermatology treatments and skincare regimen, schedule an appointment with us today.