What are Fillers?
Fillers, also called facial fillers or dermal fillers, injectable implants, wrinkle fillers, and soft-tissue fillers are used to reduce or eliminate wrinkles, plump up cheeks and lips, and correct acne scars. They are generally used for aesthetic purposes for the rejuvenation of the face and selected areas of the body. Fillers are made either from synthetic or natural substances and the vast majority of them are absorbable. The results are thus temporary, lasting from a few months to a couple of years, depending on the filler used and the patient. This procedure should only be done by a medical professional such as a dermatologist.
What are the common types of Fillers used in Thomson Specialist Skin Centre?
|Type of filler||Procedure||Lasting effect of procedure|
|Hyaluronic Acid (HA)||Gel-like substance naturally found in body. Adds volume to places like the cheeks and smooths out wrinkles, especially around the eyes, lips, and forehead||6 to 12 months|
|Restylane Skinboosters||Stabilised hyaluronic acid that retains water and increases overall volume of hydration in the skin. Substance acts as a “dermal reservoir”. It also boosts production of new collagen for added firmness.||6 to 12 months|
What is the difference between Fillers and Botox injections (Botox vs Fillers)?
Botox injections contain the purified form of the botulinum bacteria. The injections cause the temporary “freezing” of the muscle tissue and thus minimise the appearance of lines and wrinkles caused by facial expressions. As such, botox injections are only effective for wrinkles caused by muscle movement.
Fillers on the other hand, contain ingredients (both natural and synthetic) that add fullness to areas that have thinned due to aging. This includes areas such as the cheeks, lips, and around the mouth.
What are the potential side effects of Fillers?
Fillers are considered safe procedures, but they do carry a risk of potential side effects.
The most common side effects for facial fillers occur around the injection site. And these are namely:
- Pain (mild to moderate)
- Skin rash
- Lumps or “over-correction” of wrinkles
- Skin damage that causes a wound, infection, or scarring
- Death of skin cells due to loss of blood flow
Rarer side effects include:
- Leakage of the filler
- Displacement of filler from one area to another
- Blindness from accidental injection of the filler to an artery, causing interruption of blood flow to the eyes
- Tissue death due to interruption of blood flow
To prevent the occurrence of unwanted side effects, it is advisable for you to take some precautions. Namely:
- Ensure that each procedure involving the injection of fillers is performed by a licensed medical practitioner.
- Insist that the procedure is done in a medical setting and sterile environment to reduce the risk of infection.
- Make sure you know all ingredients present in the filler and ensure you are not allergic to any of them.
- Disclose to the doctor performing the procedure any medication / supplements you are currently taking as they may have interact adversely with the filler ingredients.
The skincare specialists at Thomson Specialist Skin Centre are skilled professionals who have extensive experience in performing aesthetic medical procedures such as facial fillers and will be able to advise you on the best type of fillers for your aesthetic needs.
How does Restylane Skinboosters work?
Here are the top four things to know about Restylane Skinboosters, the first FDA-approved HA product.
- During the Restylane Skinboosters treatment, a gel-like substance (stabilised HA), which retains water and increases overall volume of hydration in the skin, is administered by micro-injections into the skin. The substance acts as a “dermal reservoir” that increases the skin’s capacity to hold a rich and long-lasting source of water under its surface.
- The therapy also stimulates dermal fibroblasts, which are cells that generate connective tissues to produce new collagen. This reduces roughness and enhances suppleness of the skin.
- Each treatment session lasts about 15 to 20 minutes, and although patients may experience some swelling and redness that typically subside in a few days, most people do not have any significant downtime. Depending on skin types, results may be visible after just one treatment, and can last as long as six months. We typically recommend three sessions of treatment for a start.
- Restylane Skinboosters is recommended for women and men alike, as well as for all skin types. It is also not a solution confined to the face, and can be used for other exposed areas such as the neck, décolletage and hands.